New Class of Data Permeates Every Industry
Position and Movement Data, or Position Facts is one of the most rapidly proliferating new data type of this century.
Consider these observations and trends:
- In the world today, there are more smart phones than automobiles and laptop computers, combined.
- Every smart phone is positionally "connected" in terms of having the capability to report where it is located as well as a variety of attributes of interest.
- Estimates today (they keep getting revised up) suggest that between 50 billion, and over 2 trillion connected devices by 2014.
- These devices are located everywhere around us, including vehicles, smart appliances, or other devices such as containers and tanks, and so on.
- Multi-mode network connectivity and bandwidth is available everywhere, at progressively faster 3G and 4G speeds.
- Social media is driving the connection of people, but also bringing with it a new generation of people that are comfortable with lower levels of privacy than the prior generation.
- New devices are being manufactured with sensors, and existing things are rapidly being retrofitted with sensors that report time-stamped location and pertinent attributes via wireless or other communication.
- The rate of sensor-connections as well as the total number of these devices is staggering.
- The amount of data, is even more staggering by several orders of magnitude, that these connected things are reporting in periods as short as a few seconds.
The proliferation and adoption of connected things will most likely be, if it is not already, recognized as one of the most profound and influencing trends of the first decade of this century. It is easy to make the comparison to the previous century, and draw the analogy that the effect that the Connected Internet of Things will have on society is quite like the Industrial Revolution. And, has already eclipsed the effect that the PC has had on the world as the thirst for "getting connected" is mass adopted at an individual level in developing nations that never experienced mass adoption of the personal computer.
If you observe and believe these simple observations, you can see why there is not an industry, community, market, opportunity, or other classification and category that is not contributing to the proliferation of Position Fact Data. More importantly, few have recognize the massive potential that exists. VisTracks is out in front by developing the technology to help leading companies take advantage of this profound opportunity. It takes a mind shift, to think about what the information in the last 90 seconds, or the last 90 minutes, but not much more than the last 90 days..., to make a decision. Traditional thinking is that one has to look at the history of data much further back than that - but in reality, older data is becoming less and less relevant.